Thursday, January 6, 2011

House Hunting

We're still in Toronto watching the snow fall outside our window, so I thought I'd update you about our trip! We found a place and will sign the final papers tomorrow morning before we leave. It's been a good trip, though we didn't have as much free time to explore Toronto as we'd hoped! We went into a few scary houses at first (and then I got in the car and not so nicely asked Scott where in the world he was moving us-ha!), but ended up in a town an hour south of Toronto called Milton. It's an area that has younger families moving there with many new big master planned type neighborhoods with parks for the kids and shops on the corner. A 40 minute drive to work without much traffic, but for this area, that is not an unusual commute. A few interesting things about most homes around here:
  • Most have unfinished basements and cold cellars for wine/canned goods
  • Most don't have a kitchen pantry
  • No one has a garbage disposal; you are given a compost container that goes out with the trash and recycle bins each week
  • Limit of 3 trash bags per week
  • It's not uncommon to find houses that have attached garages but no door from the garage to the house!
We are lucky to have found this cutie and feel completely blessed to be able to live in a house like it up here. I'll have pictures once we move there in a few weeks!

9 comments:

  1. I LoVe it! How long of a drive is it from South Carolina? Do I have to get Stone and Sydney passports to come visit you!1 How exciting?!?! I need to see more pics pronto! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. julie, the house is GORGEOUS! i cannot wait to see pictures of the inside. and those are interesting facts you listed! hope all is well and so thankful you found a place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. julie, how awesome!! it's SO cute, and I'm sure you guys will be really happy there...can't wait to see pics soon; I can't believe you're moving in a couple WEEKS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie the house is so cute! Who would have thought that living in another country would seem so different?! Well I'm sue we all think in passing that it must be different but it's interesting hearing the facts. John and I are pretty excited for you guys and your fun adventure up ahead. We are sad to loose you in Tulsa now that we are back but we know God has such amazing things in store for you all up there! Hugs and warm wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my that is great!!! It looks like a very warm home and one that will be good for the girls and buster! I can't wait to see some pics of the inside! I bet it makes you feel much better now that you have this house! Hope you can put all of your trash into 3 bags!! WHAT????? I think we would be out of luck on that one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you found a house - and it is so cute!! Can't wait to see pics of the inside! And as far as composting and the 3 bags of trash - don't worry about it. We compost everything we can and recycle almost all plastic and paper and we NEVER have 3 bags of trash a week and that's with a 3 month old in diapers in the house. Hope we can get the girls together before you move!!

    Jamie N.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see more pics! I just saw an episode of "Property Virgins" where they were moving to Milton, and I thought of you! Glad you found such a great place!

    ReplyDelete